Skip Navigation

Funding schemes

Continence Aids Payment Scheme (CAPS)

CAPS is an Australian Government scheme that provides assistance to eligible people with permanent and severe incontinence to meet some of the costs of their incontinence products.

For further information about the CAPS schemes and to download an application form go to the Bladder and Bowel website.

For assistance with completing the CAPS application form or the CAPS payment contact Medicare Australia on 1800 239 309. Alternatively visit the Medicare Australia website.

Department of Veterans' Affairs (DVA)

DVA funds a range of continence products for eligible veterans and war widows and widowers via the Rehabilitation Appliances Program (RAP). 

For further information about the Department of Veterans' Affairs scheme please contact:

National Continence Contract Team
Department of Veterans' Affairs
GPO Box 1652
(199 Grenfell Street)
Adelaide SA 5001
Phone: 133 254 or 1800 555 254

National Disability Insurance Scheme

The National Disability Insurance Scheme (NDIS), managed by the National Disability Insurance Agency (NDIA), was launched in July 2013 and is being trialed in select areas in all states except Queensland. The full scheme will be gradually rolled out across Australia from July 2016. The NDIS supports people with a permanent disability that prevents them from taking part in everyday activities.

To check if you live in one of the trial sites and are eligible for NDIS, go to If you are eligible and you require assistance with continence products, this will be considered in your planning discussion with the NDIA, and if approved, will replace CAPS payments. If you are not eligible for NDIS, your current level of support will continue.

For further information, phone the NDIS Helpline
(1800 800 110) 

My Aged Care

The My Aged Care website has been established by the Australian Government to help people navigate the aged care system. In all states except Western Australia, people aged over 65 years are required to register with My Aged Care before accessing state funding.

For further information phone 1800 200 422 between 8.00am and 8.00pm weekdays and 10.00am and 2.00pm on Saturday.

State and territory funding schemes

New South Wales 

ENABLE is a NSW Government scheme that provides a subsidy towards the cost of equipment covering disposable and re-usable continence aids for eligible people living in the community.

For more information contact ENABLE on 1800 362 253


Statewide Equipment Program (SWEP) funds a wide variety of continence aids, excluding disposable continence pants and pads, drip collectors and, colostomy appliances for eligible adults and children.

For more information contact SWEP on 1300 747 937


Medical Aids Subsidy Scheme (MASS) funded by the Queensland Government provides funding for approved aids, including for continence management, primarily for use in the home.

For more information contct MASS on (07) 3136 3665

Western Australia

The Continence Management and Support Scheme (CMASS) is administered by Independence Australia on behalf of the Disability Services Commission to assist with meeting the costs of continence products. The Silver Chain Nursing Association delivers the service at clinics throughout Western Australia, providing assessment and management advice on bladder and bowel issues. Those unable to attend a clinic can arrange a telephone consultation with a continence nurse advisor.

For more information call Silver Chain on 1300 787 055

The second scheme available in WA is the Incontinence Pad Scheme (IPS) which at present is only available for those ages 3 to 15 years who are incontinent due to a permanent disability. 

IPS is funded by the Disability Services Commission and administered by Independence Australia (1300 788 855). Applicants need to be a permanent resident of WA and have a health care card.

South Australia

The Department for Communities and Social Inclusion (DCSI) is able to provide some assistance for continence products to eligible clients registered with Disability SA and Disability Services.To obtain assistance, the client must have spent their CAPS allowance for the year.

Call the Disability Information Service on 1300 786 117 for more information.


The Community Equipment Scheme (CES) is managed by the Department of Health & Human Services to reduce the cost of continence aids.

Phone your local continence service for more information:

  • North West (Ulverstone): 6429 8438
  • North (Launceston): 6336 5036
  • South (Hobart): 6222 7226


Northern Territory 

The Disability Equipment Program (DEP) is operated by the Northern Territory Department of Health, and aims to provide prescribed equipment, aids and appliances to assist with safety, independence and participation in the community.

For more information about DEP, phone your local service:

  • Darwin: (08) 8922 7244
  • Darwin Remote: (08) 8944 8641 
  • Katherine: (08) 8973 8778 
  • Alice Springs: (08) 8951 6747 
  • East Arnhem: (08) 8987 0432


Australian Capital Territory

The ACT Equipment Scheme provides funding to assist with long-term disabilities to obtain and maintain a range of equipment to assist people to live at home.

For further information, phone ACT Equipment Scheme on 6205 2622